Machinist 1 - Swing Shift
Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC) is a leading worldwide, diversified manufacturer of complex metal components and products. It serves the aerospace, power, and general industrial markets. PCC is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, and forged components used in jet aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines. The Company is also a leading producer of highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace and other general industrial markets, manufactures extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications, and supplies metal alloys and other materials to the casting and forging industries. PCC is a high quality business with dominant positions in most segments of the markets in which it serves.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over 10 billion dollar company employs more than 29,500 people worldwide. PCC has over 160 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth. Effective early February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffet, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Engineered Products: The Engineered Products business group consists of specialized manufacturing businesses that make highly engineered components, systems, and tools for a diverse group of end customers.
Located in Seattle, WA, Fatigue Technology (FTI) pioneered cold expansion technology over 50 years ago and has advanced this science to develop innovative solutions for bushing installations, fastener applications and aerospace fitting and hardware installations. FTI products improve aircraft structural durability and reduce manufacturing and maintenance flow-time and costs in metal and composite applications.
Under moderate supervision, sets up and operates computer numerical control lathes, mills and machining centers to cut, shape, or form metal work pieces to specification by performing the following duties:
• Performs basic operation of equipment to produce to rate and meet quality standards.
• Loads material into machine and unloads parts after operation.
• Monitors and removes metal chips from tools and equipment and disposes of them in the proper container.
• Monitors machine condition and reports and unusual noises or occurrences to supervisor or lead.
• Monitors cutting conditions and alerts lead or supervisor if tools are not cutting properly.
• Performs housekeeping tasks to maintain a clean and orderly workstation and performs basic machine upkeep, such as wiping down outside surface of machine, lubrication, etc.
• May hand Deburr or sand parts, as needed.
• Good inter-personal skills.
• Good verbal and written communications skills.
• Organization and time management skills.
• Problem solving/analysis.
Experience & Education
• At least 1 year related CNC lathe or mill experience or equivalent combination of experience and training. Six months on the job training at FTI may be substituted.
• Must have knowledge of shop practices and procedures, ability to read blueprints, and ability to use hand tools and measuring instruments.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, blueprints and procedure manuals.
• Ability to write routine data on routers and SPC charts.
• Ability to use math skills to solve problems.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.