Grinder - 2nd Shift
Job Title: Metal Parts Grinder – Swing Shift
Location: San Leandro, CA
To remove gating material, blend and grind casting surfaces to meet customer specifications.
1. Finish Grinding Objective: to grind and blend gating and defect areas on metal castings, and provide surface finishing within dimensional tolerances; to remove the minimum amount of metal necessary to remain within specified tolerances.
A. Reviews technique cards and blueprints to determine grinding requirements.
B. Determines stock removal requirements and tolerances for removal of gate material or other added metal stock.
C. Determines acceptance limits for grinding and blending defects.
D. Uses counter-balanced belt grinders, fixed grinders, held-held grinders, air tools, and hand tools including files and mirrors to grind and polish casting areas.
E. Wears required protective shields, clothing, wrist supports, glasses and gloves during grinding operations.
F. Visually inspects castings during grinding operations to assure compliance with specifications.
G. Makes dimensional measurements on specified parts to assure compliance with specifications; marks undersized areas for further inspection.
2. Safety Objective: to take responsibility for and demonstrate safe work practices.
NOTE: For job positions that require respiratory protection (more than a filtering face piece – dust mask):
A. Adheres to plant and department safety rules.
B. Safely operates all equipment and tools.
C. Identifies and reports safety problems.
D. May be required to handle hazardous waste.
E. Performs minor maintenance and changes belts on equipment.
F. Accurately completes logs and records in a timely manner
G. Performs other tasks as directed.
H. May provide training and work direction to others.
A. Training is provided on the job. Opportunities for wage increases and advancing position
B. Tuition Reimbursement benefit is available
1. Grinding skills and working knowledge of grinding tools, equipment, and materials.
An equivalent combination of training and work experience.
2. Ability to follow instructions, read, write and perform basic arithmetic calculations.
3. Ability to read, interpret and follow specifications on Technique Cards.
4. Ability to lift and/or maneuver objects weighing thirty to fifty pounds and occasionally up to eighty pounds.
5. Ability to work in difficult working conditions which may include exposure to noise, dust, temperature extremes and other elements for extended periods of time.
Precision Cast Parts Corporation (PCC), a Berkshire Hathaway company, is the world’s leader in investment casting of precision parts for a variety of components, primarily noted for delivery on advancements in jet and rocket propulsion engines. Go to www.precast.com for the incredible story about the corporation.
This position is located in one of 190 such plants globally, however, one that specializes in small precision-made complex parts which require a great deal of engineering, a bit of metallurgic magic and hand-crafted workmanship. It really is STEAM – where Science, Technology, Engineering, Artistry and Mathematics all come together!
This particular plant started as a family operation in 1956 and still maintains that family and maker feel, although we are growing at 20% per year. Since 1956, we were quietly honing our craft until aviation and technology caught up. Now, we find ourselves at the intersection of SpaceX commute rockets and our ability to work with super alloys to create incredibly thin walled, complex small parts for rocket and jet propulsion. For the whole story, you’ll want to come in for a tour.
We are located at 414 Hester Street, San Leandro, CA.
- Fax resume to (510) 225-4104, or
- Apply on the corporate website: https://careers.precast.com
Why join the Structurals Team?
The Structurals Division is run by leaders who when faced with problems choose to see it, solve it, drive it and own it. We are smart, resourceful, "Type A Personalities" who are committed to winning daily. We are completely comfortable challenging upwards, focused on finding innovative solutions and able to roll up our shirt sleeves and operate tactically, yet think strategically.
Precision Castparts is the world leader in structural investment castings, forged components, and airfoil castings for aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines. Airbus, Boeing, GE, Rolls-Royce, and many other leading manufacturers depend on us for critical airframe, engine, power generation, medical, and general industrial components. With few exceptions, every aircraft in the sky flies with parts made by PCC.
The Structurals Division is the world leader in manufacturing high-quality, complex investment castings for aircraft engine, industrial gas turbine, airframe, and other applications, including the world's largest diameter investment cast components.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON PCC STRUCTURALS & PRECISION CASTPARTS CORP:
- < >< >PCC Structurals is committed to a diverse workforce. As Equal Opportunity Employer, VEVRAA Federal Contractor, affirmative action employer we provide equal opportunity to all persons, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, disability, status as a protected veteran, national origin, color, or any other classification in accordance with federal, state, and local statutes, regulations and ordinances "Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran Status/VEVRAA Federal Contractor". Veterans are encouraged to self-identify as PCC Structurals desires to provide protected veterans priority referrals for open positions. PCC Structurals complies with all laws and regulations associated with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 503-652-3512 for assistance. PCC Structurals is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor committed to providing priority referrals of protected veterans for its openings. Veterans are encouraged to self-identify as desires to provide protected veterans priority referrals for open positions. PCC Structurals complies with all laws and regulations associated with the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). If you would like more information about Equal Employment Opportunity as an applicant under the law, please visit www.eeoc.gov