Chemistry Lab Supervisor
Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC) is a leading worldwide, diversified manufacturer of complex metal components and products. It serves the aerospace, power, and general industrial markets. PCC is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, and forged components used in jet aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines. The Company is also a leading producer of highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace and other general industrial markets, manufactures extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications, and supplies metal alloys and other materials to the casting and forging industries. PCC is a high quality business with dominant positions in most segments of the markets in which it serves. The company has a history of superior earnings growth and was the fourth best performing stock in the S&P 500 during the last decade, up 1580%.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over $10 billion publicly traded company employs more than 29,500 people worldwide. PCC has over 160 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
PCC Aerostructures now includes 39 plants in the U.S, Europe and Asia with over 5500 employees and has ambitious growth plans. Businesses within PCC Aerostructures include Primus International, SPS Aerostructures, Centra, Avibank and AVK, Klune, ProCoat, Southwest United Industries, Progressive Incorporated, Synchronous, and Kalistrut. Plants locations include Washington, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Ohio, Canada, Mexico, the UK and China.
Southwest United Industries was established in 1953. Today it is an industry leader in providing complete metal finishing services as well as aviation component repair and overhaul from its 130,000 ft² facility in Tulsa. Southwest primarily serves the Aerospace & Defense industries but also supports the medical, oil & gas, and general industrial base as well.
Our services include chrome, cadmium and nickel plating; plasma and HVOF thermal spray coating; hard, chromic, boric and sulfuric anodizing, including chemical conversion coating; all types of painting, including dry film lube and Teflon; non-destructive testing; shot peening; all types of precision grinding including OD, ID, surface, spherical and super-finishing. Southwest maintains Nadcap accredidation for all processes as well as an extensive list of customer specific approvals including Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Bell Helicopter, Northrop Grumman, Goodrich, Messier-Dowty, Gulfstream, Bombardier, Embraer, Honeywell, Parker and Cessna.
Southwest has a highly skilled team of coating and production engineers along with an outstanding support staff together having many hundreds of years of experience. Southwest, through these fine people, offer unrivaled quality and service. Southwest United is committed to continuous improvement in order to provide our customers with improved coatings solutions while reducing the costs and lead time.
For the past 60 years the vision of Southwest United Industries has remained consistent; "To be the best full-service, single-source, metal finishing company in North America."
The Chemistry Lab Supervisor reports to the Quality Manager and oversees the activities of the Chemistry Lab to ensure compliance to AS9100, NADCAP, Customer and Industry specifications, and internal procedures. The Lab Supervisor will coordinate the scheduling, duties, and assignments of Lab Staff and Chemical Handlers to support production needs for tank chemistry maintenance, nonconformance resolution, and chemical and supply inventory. The Lab Supervisor will assist in the lab activities as necessary to ensure efficient operations.
The Lab Supervisor will be responsible for performing data and trend analysis and reporting on the status of the Lab and process tanks. This will include test validation, reviewing/directing tank adjustments, and maintaining the TrueChem database.
The Lab Supervisor must display a sense of ownership of the metal finishing processes and a sense of urgency to keep the tanks on-line. A passion to support the development of the lab personnel to grow the department is essential.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership to the department with the responsibility for ensuring compliance to AS9100, NADCAP, Customer and Industry specifications, and internal procedures.
- Provide clear communication to Operations and the Business Team to avoid disruptions and customer delays. Superior communication and escalation skills are critical to alert team and management of issues, delays, milestones, and overall performance.
- Maintain lab procedures, techniques, and training to ensure accurate and timely compliance to requirements. Ensure appropriate testing techniques and equipment are available and properly implemented.
- Investigate and determine resolution of out of specification conditions in a timely manner. Visibility across the organization is vital to minimize disruptions.
- Ensure timely testing and adjustments to tank chemistry. This includes coordination with EHS for the generation of waste for disposal.
- Maintain contact with Chemical Suppliers for technical support in the resolution of nonconforming conditions and for maintaining competitive pricing and timely delivery.
- Research pricing and requisition materials necessary for sustaining operation of the tanks and the lab. This includes coordinating calibration and equipment servicing.
- Develop a strong familiarity with customer and industry specifications for tank chemistry limits and development of internal limits for multi-spec tanks. This includes the review of new and revised specifications for gap analysis and implementation.
- Maintain TrueChem database for accurate records of analysis, composition, adjustments, and specification adherence. Utilize TrueChem for trend analysis for predictive trends and historical data for diagnostic research.
- Support customer requests and external audits for lab activities, including resolution of corrective actions identified.
- Maintain the Lab and associated areas in a safe, clean and efficient manner.
- Initiate and track team based project planning and implementation of improvement activities.
- Promote unity of the team, aligning expectations, and develop of both short term and long term plans to increase the lab standards.
- Determine training needs and assess performance of the team.
- Excellent working knowledge of chemistry. Understanding of metal finishing, specifically plating processes, such as nickel, chrome, and anodize is critical.
- Working knowledge of quality systems, process control, statistical analysis, specifications, and manufacturing safety practices.
- Familiarity with working with hazardous materials and utilizing appropriate PPE.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work well with others
- Good working knowledge of personal computers and standard office software with ability to develop and maintain spreadsheets, reports, and presentations
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment
Required Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related field
- 3+ years of experience in Electroplating/Anodizing, aerospace industry experience preferred
- 1+ year of experience supervising a team.
Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.