Continuous Improvement Engineer
Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC) is a leading worldwide, diversified manufacturer of complex metal components and products. It serves the aerospace, power, and general industrial markets. PCC is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, and forged components used in jet aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines. The Company is also a leading producer of highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace and other general industrial markets, manufactures extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications, and supplies metal alloys and other materials to the casting and forging industries. PCC is a high quality business with dominant positions in most segments of the markets in which it serves. The company has a history of superior earnings growth and was the fourth best performing stock in the S&P 500 during the last decade, up 1580%.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, this over $10 billion company employs more than 29,500 people worldwide. PCC has over 160 plants and has a presence in twenty-six states in the US and in over a dozen countries. PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers and shareholders while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.
PCC Aerostructures is a leading supplier of complex components and assemblies to the global aerospace industry.
PCC Aerostructures now includes more than 20 plants in the U.S, Europe and Asia with over 5000 employees and has ambitious growth plans. Businesses within PCC Aerostructures include Primus International, SPS Aerostructures, Centra, Avibank and AVK, Klune, ProCoat, Southwest United Industries, Progressive Incorporated, Synchronous, and Kalistrut. Plants locations include Washington, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Ohio, Canada, Mexico, the UK and China.
Located in Algona Washington, Primus International - Algona is a leading Tier II Supplier of highly engineered metallic and composite parts, kits, and assemblies to the global aerospace industry. Their key customers are Boeing (737 FED Doors, AOE Doors, and 737 APU Inlets), Airbus (A321 and A330 Doors), and Latacore (Hinges and Supper Hinges). Primus International –Algona specializes in medium to complex titanium machining and structural mechanical assembly.
Acquired by Precision Castparts in 2011, Primus International Algona has become one of 38 plants within the Aerostructures division. Staffed with over 350 employees, the facility generates annual revenue in excess of $150 million. Within the last few years, the operation merged with a sister plant, Compass Aerospace Northwest, which will add steel and aluminum machining and assembly capabilities to the plant, as well as sister plant, GCM North American Aerospace.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Derive Lean improvements on standalone and cell-configuration CNC machines (Makino, Okuma, Toyoda, Mori-Seiki, etc) with the goal of increasing machine uptime and reducing operational cost.
- Capacity planning analysis of current part families in order to determine and implement the most productive combination of parts to run on specific work centers, in order to reduce changeover downtime.
- Collaborate with internal CNC programming resources to implement productive part machining tooling fixtures and machining processes that match customer demand profiles.
- Collaborate with internal vendor resources to improve cutting tool selection and implementation with the goal of improving cutting tool life and reducing cutting tool cost.
- Analyze transactional processes/technologies to reduce waste, variation and cost within all steps of the machining process.
- Analyze root cause and implement appropriate corrective actions to solve quality and throughput related problems at the machine.
- Applications of Lean principles such as Value Stream Mapping, Single Piece Flow, 5S Visual Factory Management, Total Productive Maintenance, Continuous Improvement Process, Kaizen, Six Sigma, Communication Tools, Statistical Problem Solving.
- Ensure compliance with contractual, operational and regulatory requirements.
- Addressing of production and post-production issues.
- Responsible for the identification, development and implementation of CNC machining process improvements and best practices focused on improvements in Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost.
- Coach people in lean CNC machining methodology and continuous improvement mindset utilizing kaizen, lean training and exercises/demonstrations.
- Use continuous improvement techniques to capitalize on safety, quality, delivery and productivity opportunities.
- Facilitate financial justification for new projects.
- Highly developed and technical knowledge of manufacturing practices and procedures
- Ability to analyze complex situations involving diverse data and information, strong communication/interpersonal skills with an outstanding ability to influence others
- Ensures follow-up on improvement events are completed and realized gains are maintained. This includes scheduling and facilitating on-going status reviews with all vested parties.
- Advanced computer skills are required (i.e. MS Office, Autocad, Visio etc)
- Experience in Catia and/or NX are a plus.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in Lean CNC Machining or processing environment using continuous improvement techniques/tools (i.e. Lean, Six Sigma, 5S, JIT, etc.).
Level of Education
- Bachelors degree required, engineering degree preferred. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of Bachelors Degree.
Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.