Director of Business Operations
Position Title: Director, Business Operations FLSA Status: Exempt
Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC) is a leading worldwide, diversified manufacturer of complex metal components and products. It serves the aerospace, power, and general industrial markets. PCC is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, and forged components used in jet aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines. The Company is also a leading producer of highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace and other general industrial markets, manufactures extruded seamless pipe, fittings, forgings, and clad products for power generation and oil & gas applications, and supplies metal alloys and other materials to the casting and forging industries. PCC is a high quality business with dominant positions in most segments of the markets in which it serves.
Established in 1988, Alloy Processing started with eight employees in a 2,800 square foot facility located in Compton, California with a tank capacity of 3' x 2.5' x 3'. Since then, Alloy has grown to over 150 employees in a 37,000 square foot facility in Compton, California with a tank capacity of 40' x 4' x 6'. Alloy Processing became part of the PCC family in 2013 and looks to expand at a rapid pace in the coming years with significant new investments and capabilities on the horizon.
The Director of Business Operations is responsible for new and current business and product implementation, planning, on-time delivery, customer satisfaction and profitability. Directs all activity related to successfully and efficiently completing the product business cycle including the following areas:
Estimates labor and material costs for product processing based on Request For Proposal (RFP) data submitted by prospective customers. Analyzes specifications including sketches, blueprints, bills of material, or sample layouts, and calculates production costs using labor and material pricing schedules and historical data. Collects cost data from functional representatives, subcontractors, and vendors. Computes cost estimates of supplies, materials and/or subcontracted work and labor. Prepares and maintains historical cost data. Creates cost models for cost estimating elements. Prepares cost reports and presents findings to authorized personnel.
Responsible for directing the on-boarding of the new product/service. Acts as liason between product development, engineering, quality, procurement, production control, and management for development of service process. Assures proper setup of items in ERP system including all item maintenance and proper demand. Once production has been proven, hands service line off to production operations.
Directs operational aspects of ongoing customer programs including determining time-frames, work-force, equipment requirement and capacity and serves as liaison between planning, project team, and line management. Reviews status of projects and budgets; Manages schedules and prepares status reports. Assesses project issues and develops resolutions to meet productivity, quality, and client-satisfaction goals and objectives. Develops mechanisms for monitoring project progress and for intervention and problem solving with project managers, line managers, and customers.
Directs production schedules including development and maintenance for all resource groups in the plant. Monitors resource allocation for short and long term capacity constraints and recommends alternative paths to management if necessary. Interacts daily with line management to maintain schedule attainment. Verifies that the master schedule is executing according to priorities set.
Directs the planing, preparation and coordination of material requirements to ensure a controlled flow of approved materials timed to meet production requirements. Reports on the status of work in progress, material availability, and potential production problems to ensure that personnel, equipment, materials and services are provided as needed. Confirms material supply and demands, directs preparation of work orders or purchase requests for the production or purchase of components or materials based on a master production schedule, shop load and inventory requirements. Directs the coordination of interdepartmental activity with quality assurance, operations, purchasing, engineering, inventory control, logistics, etc.
Directs and coordinates activities related to product logistics ensuring proper handling, packaging, accuracy of product received/shipped consistent with customer documentation. Directs proper procedure to receive and examine customer product and document out of specification conditions. Directs comunication with operations to inform of activities that directly or indirectly affect customer and/or departamental effectivenes.
Directs satisfaction of current and new customers by executing in accordance to pre-determined deadline and specifications maintaing accurate and timely response to service/product inquires, work orders and estimates. Directs determination of customers requirements and expectations with respect to lead times and pricing working closly with other departments to perform to customer expectation. Directs analysis and recommendation to pricing adjustments and lead time strategies.
- Effectively directs the timely collection of data as required to understand cost associated with changes to service configuration requested the the customer.
- Develop, coordinate, implement, monitor, and update Directorate long-range plans by translating Executive Team goals and objectives into actionable programs and initiatives
- Develop and communicate quarterly production, sales, and inventory goals for the entire plant.
- Implement Work Center goals and objectives in partnership with Department Manager
- Manage direct reports; Establish schedule, quality, and cost targets for their Directorate; Delegate to direct reports or teams with direct reports to accomplish goals
- Work with other Directors/Managers to coordinate and align Directorate operations and activities; Plan and establish work schedules, assignments, and resources to meet Division goals
- Partner with HR and direct reports to resolve problems, complaints or grievances, and to plan and forecast staffing
- Partner with Quality to align Directorate goals with Business Quality Management System (BQMS)
- Champion Six Sigma and facilitate lean initiatives
- Develop and deploy management metrics
- Support IT and Production with long-range resource plans
- May occasionally perform special projects; Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of ERP/MRP systems and their use to schedule supply chain, parts, tooling, produciton, shipping/receiving of products
- Knowledge of materials, production processes, quality controls, and costs
- Understand/use techniques for effective control of delivered quality, cost, and schedule in the operations process of Alloy Processing services.
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering and manufacturing including communication techniques, production procedures, and resources relevant to the operations of Alloy Processing services.
- Knowledge of management principles involved in strategic planning and forecasting including people, material, and equipment resource allocation; corporate and human resource policies and benefits; leadership and teaming; and production methods.
- Familiar with lean manufacturing work area practices including 6-S, Visual Controls, Standard Work, work center metrics, and continuous improvement processes and able to instruct others in these practices
- Select, motivate, develop, and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job
- Consider costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate
- Proactive communicator who can clearly articulate results and needs across all levels
- Able to establish and communicate clear priorities and to influence others to support and act on those priorities
- Ability to summarize large amounts of data into concise points for management.
- Ability to filter larger amounts of data and recommend strategic directions.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
Education and Experience
- 4 year degree
- 5+ years manufacturing and/or process experience in the Aerospace Industry
- 7+ years in management position with strong Aerospace technical background.
- Occasional inter-facility, some supplier and customer travel
- Must be eligible to work for U.S. government contractors and sub-contractors