The Cost Accountant performs accounting duties which require exercise of independent judgment, thorough knowledge of accounting, bookkeeping procedures and familiarity with work relationships within the fields of accounting and cost accounting activities. Handles confidential data. Must be able to analyze and present information to Senior Management of the plant and division. Responsible for Sarbanes Oxley compliance within Inventory, Fixed Assets and General Accounting areas of the business.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepares journal entries, accruals, adjustments, and posting entries to specified accounts
- Determines product cost for accuracy on closed jobs
- Prepares and analyzes inventory reserves
- Maintains accurate inventory valuation and reviews cycle count adjustments
- Analyzes and investigates production cost variances
- Prepares various reports for Company’s external auditors
- Assists in closing general ledger for each period; prepares cost reports for management
- Provides analytical support to the operations team
- Establishes work center labor, machine and overhead rates, when necessary
- Prepares daily, weekly, and monthly scrap and other cost accounting reports for management information
- Participates in the annual budget process
- SOX compliance
Required Skills and Experience:
Familiarity with cost accounting in a manufacturing environment
Must have a minimum 5-7 years of general accounting experience B.S./B.A. degree in Accounting or equivalent.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related discipline
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to stand, sit, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Requires good manual dexterity.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.